Sunday, September 01, 2024

Songs about turning or being 64 or 22 or 18 or 16 – but none about turning or being 60?

A friend who turned 64 shortly before I turned 60 responded to my congratulations with "When I'm Sixty-Four", by The Beatles ("Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", 1967). I couldn't think of a song about turning or being 60, so I responded with "22", by Taylor Swift ("Red", 2012). My friend countered with "I'm Eighteen", by Alice Cooper ("Love It To Death", 1971). Of course many songs have "sixteen" in the title, such as "You're Sixteen", which was written by The Sherman Brothers (who also wrote the songs for "Mary Poppins") and recorded by Johnny Burnette in 1960. I haven't found a song called "Sixty", so maybe I'll write it myself. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 1 September 2024) 

No comments: