Friday, September 27, 2024

Not remembering Maggie Smith in “As You Like It” at the Stratford Shakespeare Festival in Ontario in Spring 1977

In spring 1977, presumably during our spring break from school, my family went from in Ottawa Hills, Ohio, to Stratford, Ontario, for the Stratford Shakespeare Festival. My father was especially excited about the trip, because he wanted to see Maggie Smith as Rosalind in the festival's production of William Shakespeare's comedy "As You Like It". I wish I remembered something about her performance, but all I remember about that trip was that a dog bit me on what an online map suggests was Tom Patterson Island in Lake Victoria in central Stratford. Still, Maggie Smith (1934-2024) always reminded me of that trip, even if I all I remembered was that dog. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 27 September 2024)

No comments: