Monday, September 09, 2024

A good line in Sabrina Carpenter’s “Please Please Please”: "Don't bring me to tеars when I just did my makeup so nice."

I watched and listened to Rick Beato's countdown of the Spotify Top Ten, which he does every few months. While he pays attention to the details of the music, with comments about such things as chord progressions, the use of autotune, and the decade a recording sounds like, he never comments on the lyrics. That's my thing, of course, and one line in a song, Sabrina Carpenter's  "Please Please Please", stood out to me: "Don't bring me to tеars when I just did my makeup so nice." Variations on "don't make me cry" permeate pop music, but I have not heard the wonderful and convincing link to makeup running before. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 9 September 2024)

 


No comments: