Thursday, March 11, 2021

Memories of Matisse's "Dance"

Long ago, I loved to go to the Museum of Modern Art in New York, where I would come around a corner and see Matisse's "Dance", as I knew I would. But every time, it was stunning to actually see it again. When I was at the renovated MOMA in July 2015, the whole layout of the museum had changed, so all the paintings were in different places, and I didn't know when I'd see it. And then there it was, as stunning as ever. And my other old favorites were there, too, including two of Monet's "Water Lilies", which are such a beautiful complement to the two paintings in Riehen. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 11 March 2021, for my student Giulia Weber, whose text on Matisse's painting triggered my memories of it)

 

10 Lessons Matisse Can Teach You About Art and Life

No comments: