Saturday, August 12, 2023

My first concert, 11 August 1978, Linda Ronstadt and Livingston Taylor, Centennial Hall, Toledo, Ohio

Yesterday was the fiftieth anniversary of the house party in the Bronx where DJ Kool Herc laid the foundations for hip-hop when he selected instrumental breaks from funk and soul songs, strung them together with two turnables, and did some improvised rhyming to encourage the dancers. I was eight years old at the time, and lived in Palo Alto, so of course I wasn't there! But yesterday was also the forty-fifth anniversary of the first live concert I attended: Linda Ronstadt, with Livingston Taylor opening. By then I lived in Ottawa Hills, Ohio, and the venue was just under a mile away: Centennial Hall (now Savage Arena, as I've just learned). (Andrew Shields, #111words, 12 August 2023)

No comments: