Saturday, August 05, 2023

Don Quixote in Charles Dickens’s “Our Mutual Friend” (1865)

I've commented already during my reading of Charles Dickens's novels on his references to Daniel Defoe's 1719 novel and character Robinson Crusoe. One such reference is in a list of characters from David Copperfield's childhood reading that also includes Don Quixote. Just now, I found another reference to Quixote in "Our Mutual Friend" (1865), when the newly-wealthy Mr. Boffin becomes obsessed with books about misers: "[He] pursued the acquisition of those dismal records with the ardour of Don Quixote for his books of chivalry." My personal twist here is that I have also just read the passage in Miguel de Cervantes's "Don Quijote" (1605-1615) when his neighbors burn those chivarly books. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 5 August 2023)

No comments: