Friday, August 04, 2023

Discovering the riveting poems of Manuel Ramos Otero

One anthology for the course on "La Poesía de Puerto Rico" includes Spanish-language poems from Puerto Rico and four Central American countries. I was already familiar with Julia de Burgos (1914-1953) before I began preparing the course and found the two anthologies in libraries at the University of Basel. I've previously noted my further appreciation for Juan Antonio Corretjer (1908-1995) and Luis Palés Matos (1898-1959). Today, I finally read the poems by Manuel Ramos Otero (1948-1990), a poet who died of AIDS in San Juan in 1990 after living in New York for many years. They are powerful and riveting, especially the work from his posthumous collection "Invitación a polvo" (1991). (Andrew Shields, #111words, 4 August 2023)

 

Three poems from the anthology are here, with Portuguese translations. 

No comments: