Monday, February 27, 2023

The unpredictability of comments on the translations I do

Handing in a translation has been a mixed experience for me over the years. At times, I get positive feedback with several (and sometimes many) excellent questions that help me make the translation even better. At others, I get negative feedback that might even question my ability to speak German properly. One writer first admitted that his English was not very good but then went on to challenge some of the phrasing in my translation as incorrect. But at least he mentioned details rather than just telling me to revise my "terrible" translation without any comments or suggestions. Unsurprisingly, I can never predict what kind of response each translation will get. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 27 February 2023)

No comments: