Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Finishing a cycle of Toni Morrison courses with her “late novels"

This semester, I'll be completing my cycle of spring-semester courses on Toni Morrison's novels with "Toni Morrison's Late Novels". We'll be reading "Love" (2003), "A Mercy" (2008), "Home" (2012), and "God Help the Child" (2015). This is the first of the three courses where I had not read any of the novels before I began preparing the course, but by now I've read all four twice. Of the four, my favorite is "A Mercy", which is set in the seventeenth century and shifts perspective from character to character with Morrison's characteristic complexity and virtuosity. Yet it remains clear and vivid even on the first read, while unfolding richly on the second. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 21 February 2023)

No comments: