Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Photographs of whiteboards and blackboards, and shared online notes, as records of class discussions

When I taught in the English Department at the Université de Haute-Alsace in the Fall Semester of 2017, the students took pictures of the whiteboards at the end of the class. After I noticed that, I started doing so, too, and I have kept up the habit since, as a record – though often cryptic – of the discussions. When my teaching moved online in March 2020, I soon began to type notes into shared copies of the course handouts – so there's a much less cryptic, more detailed and specific record of those discussions. Since Fall 2021, I've been photographing blackboards again – but I do miss the lost detail of those online handouts. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 22 February 2022)


No comments: