Saturday, June 22, 2024

Why does a teen idol like Taylor Swift interest even oldies like me?

I'm still getting interview requests about my Taylor Swift seminar. This week, I was asked how a teen idol like Swift could interest even oldies like me. I gave three answers. First, with eleven albums in eighteen years, and four since her thirtieth birthday, she has long been writing music for adults. Secondly, I don't listen to music according to its "target audience". I listen, and when I like something, I keep listening. Thirdly, as a teacher and parent, I have enough experience with young people to take them seriously, rather than "assuming they know nothing", as Swift says, or in this case, that they are mere suckers for marketing campaigns. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 22 June 2024)

No comments: