Saturday, June 29, 2024

How I predicted a goal in the Germany-Denmark match right before it happened

In the 68th minute of this evening's match between Germany and Denmark at the UEFA European Men's Football Championship, Germany's Antonio Rüdiger passed the ball from midfield back to Manuel Neuer, and I said, "There's going to be a goal now." Neuer passed to Nico Schlotterbeck, who made a long pass over more than half the pitch to winger Jamal Musiala, who controlled the ball and shot it past Danish goalkeeper Kaspar Schmeichel for a 2-0 lead. My wife Andrea wondered how I'd called the goal, so I explained: the Euro app on my iPhone announces goals a few seconds before they are shown on the obviously slightly delayed television broadcast. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 29 June 2024)

No comments: