Saturday, January 28, 2023

"I want your eye, man": Jordan Peele's "Get Out" and the death of Black photographer Tyre Nichols

In Jordan Peele's "Get Out" (2017), blind white art dealer Jim Hudson (Stephen Root) explains to Black photographer Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya) why he wants his brain transplanted into Chris's body: "I want your eye, man. I want those things you see through." White America wants what Black America sees, but without Black bodies. This crossed my mind when I read Heather Cox Richardson's "Letter from an American" for yesterday, 27 January, which is unusually brief for her. After Black photographer Tyre Nichols was beaten to death by five police officers in Memphis earlier this month, she discreetly refrains from comment but provides a link to Nichols's website with his photography. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 28 January 2023)

 


Whatever happened to Milton from Office Space?
Jim Hudson (Stephen Root) in Jordan Peele's "Get Out" (2017)


No comments: