Thursday, May 17, 2007

Songs to play

"I shall remain in Borges, not in myself (if it is true that I am someone), but I recognize myself less in his books than in many others or in the laborious strumming of a guitar." (Jorge Luis Borges, "Borges and I")

Many people have been posting lists of songs that blow their minds. My list of songs includes those that it blows my mind to play. In alphabetical order by title, with the line I most like to sing:

1. Comes a Time, by Neil Young

It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

2. Friend of the Devil, by The Grateful Dead

Got two reasons why I cry away each lonely night

(especially on mandolin)

3. I Love Paris, by Cole Porter

I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles

(Oh, that shift from minor to major!)

4. If I Had Known, by Greg Brown

Summer was invented for her to wear that dress

(That line is so cool that I stop strumming to sing it)

5. New Coat of Paint, by Tom Waits

Heard the mystery shuffle of an overflowin' day

6. No Woman, No Cry, by Bob Marley (though it was written by Vincent Ford, Marley's guitar player at the time)

In this great future, you can't forget your past

7. Suzanne, by Leonard Cohen

And when he knew for certain only drowning men could see him

8. Things We Said Today, by The Beatles

Me I'm just a lucky guy

9. What a Wonderful World, by Sam Cooke

Maybe by being an A student, baby, I could win your love for me

10. You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go, by Bob Dylan

I could stay with you forever and never realize the time

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Andrew,
Nice list.
Check out "Suzanne" in Italian.

www.andreaparodi.com

~melanie~

Andrew Shields said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm listening to it right now: a cool arrangement. Don't understand the words, but I can hum along in English, as it were.