Saturday, October 15, 2022

"Looking into the heart of light, the silence": The 100th anniversary of the first publication of T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land"

T. S. Eliot's "The Waste Land" was published 100 years ago today in the first issue of "The Criterion". Although I haven't returned to it as a whole in years, I have read it many times before. Still, its sound on reading it again is entrancing. Many forgotten passages strike me anew, but even all the familiar passages remain overwhelming – this most of all: "Yet when we came back, late, from the hyacinth garden, / Your arms full, and your hair wet, I could not / Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither / Living nor dead, and I knew nothing, / Looking into the heart of light, the silence." (Andrew Shields, #111words, 15 October 2022)


No comments: