Sunday, October 09, 2022

Forty years of listening to The Grateful Dead and the release of "In and Out of the Garden: Madison Square Garden '81, '82, '83"

Forty years ago today, my friend Steve and I went to hear The Grateful Dead for the first time at Stanford's Frost Amphitheater. Within seconds after the start of the first song, "Alabama Getaway", Steve turned to me and said, "I'm a Deadhead." And I became one that weekend, too. For those whose live introduction to the band was in the early 1980s, there have not been very many releases in their extensive archival releases, but as of a few weeks ago, the sound of those years can be heard clearly on "In and Out of the Garden", a set of six shows from Madison Square Garden from 1981 to 1983. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 9 October 2022)


No comments: