Wednesday, June 01, 2022

"I am a space as much as I am a voice": A poetry installation with quotations from poems by Sumita Chakraborty, Mary Jean Chan, Natalie Diaz, Ilya Kaminsky, Rowan Ricardo Phillips, and Vidyan Ravinthiran

In this afternoon's final session of my Contemporary Poety seminar (in which we discussed collections by Sumita Chakraborty, Mary Jean Chan, Natalie Diaz, Ilya Kaminsky, Rowan Ricardo Phillips, and Vidyan Ravinthiran), the students made posters with one quotation from one of the poets, and with the help of several students, I made six posters with one quotation from each poet. We hung the posters on the classroom walls, and each student and I explained our chosen quotations, and in the discussion, we linked the quotations to each other. For me, one quotation from Chakraborty came to stand for this installation: "I am a space as much as I am a voice". (Andrew Shields, #111words, 1 June 2022)

 

Quotations from Chan, Phillips, and Chakraborty.

Quotations from Kaminsky and Phillips.

Quotations from Kaminsky and Diaz.

Quotations from Chakraborty, Diaz, and Ravinthiran.

Quotations from Diaz, Kaminsky, and Ravinthiran.

 

No comments: