Monday, April 18, 2022

My linguistic autobiography: Learning German in college from Nietzsche to Celan

My linguistic autobiography continues with German, which I began learning in my sophomore year in college because I wanted to read Friedrich Nietzsche and other German philosophers. That year, I had three quarters of one-hour German classes five days a week with Lohnes and Strohmann's textbook "German: A Structural Approach". When I went to Germany the next winter, I could speak and read German pretty well, but then I switched from a German-Math double major to English and only took one more German course in my last quarter before graduating. But I also began reading Paul Celan that same term in Celan translator John Felstiner's course on Literature of the Holocaust. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 18 April 2022)


No comments: