Sunday, May 16, 2021

From Manhattan to Kassel to Basel: My life with Jonathan Borofsky

After I saw Jonathan Borofsky's show in Manhattan in 1985, where I had the sense I'd been in the exhibition even before I went inside the museum, I didn't think about him much until I saw his "Man Walking to the Sky" at documenta in Kassel in 1992. That was my first visit to my future wife's hometown, so since then I've walked past that gigantic work many times, which people in Kassel have dubbed "Der Himmelsstürmer". Then, when I moved to Basel in 1995, I discovered Borofsky's equally gigantic "Hammering Man" at Aeschenplatz. So it's as if my life keeps taking me back to that vivid and memorable Whitney show. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 16 May 2021)

 

Man Walking to the Sky
"Man Walking to the Sky", Kassel


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Basel_-_Hammering_Man.jpg
"Hammering Man", Basel

No comments: