Sunday, February 14, 2021

Remembering hearing about the shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, and Parkland, Florida

On 14 December 2012, when I heard about the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, I made a list of 27 schoolchildren I knew: my children, their friends, and finally two of their second cousins. It took me a while to list so many names, during which the horror of the shooting really sank in. I didn't make another list three years ago today when I heard about the shooting at Marjorie Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, but I was again reminded of this terrible observation someone made: if the United States could not pass gun-control legislation after Sandy Hook, then such legislation will never pass. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 14 February 2021)

No comments: