Thursday, February 04, 2021

Outwards is coming! Old-fashioned German terms for seasons

When my neighbor happily announced today that her garden had made clear that spring is coming, I remembered the old-fashioned German term for "spring", "Lenz" (instead of "Frühling" or "Frühjahr"), and I researched other old-fashioned terms for the seasons. After a bit more searching than I'd expected, I found a web version of a German scholarly study from the 1890s on "Zeitrechnung" in the Middle Ages with several quite lovely older terms: "Auswärts" for "spring" (literally, "outwards") and "Einwärts" for "fall" (literally, "inwards"), which was also called "Laubreise" (which might be "the journey of the leaves"). Sadly, I've found nothing remotely as rewarding on archaic terms for the seasons in English. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 4 February 2021)

 


No comments: