Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Edinburgh Reading, Feb. 8, 2009

Here's Rob Mackenzie introducing the poets at the "Poetry at the Great Grog" reading on February 8, 2009, in Edinburgh.
If the venue does not look like a bar (which is what the Great Grog is), that's because it not: it's a beautiful room at St. Cuthbert's Church. The reading was relocated after Rob realized that the Great Grog would probably be full of rugby fans in the evening after a Scotland-Wales match in Edinburgh!

The first reader was Alan Gay.

Then came me.
My set list:

The Day after Writing a Poem
Doggerel
Expat
The Seven-Year-Old Atheist
Edge
Pipe Smoke
Origin (by Dieter M. Gräf, tr. AS; note that the poem is incorrectly titled at the link)
In the breaks between the trees (by Ilma Rakusa, tr. AS)
The Letter Scale (by Jacques Réda, tr. AS)
Thomas Hardy Listens to Louis Armstrong
Aftermath
City
September Rain

After me came Jane McKie.


And then Tim Turnbull.


When I'm a participant, I find it hard to comment on the other readers, but I did enjoy them all, each in their own way! One thing's for sure: I'm glad I did not follow Tim, who is a wonderful performer!

5 comments:

Rob said...

Cool pics! Except maybe for the first one...

Your reading was excellent, by the way. Everyone I spoke to really enjoyed it. I agree with your comments on the impossibility of following Tim. He's permanently at the close of every line-up!

Colin Will said...

The evening was very special for many reasons - not least the snow at the end, and I was very impressed by your set. And it was great to meet you.

Andrew Shields said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the reading, Rob and Colin. I wish I'd had more time to chat with you, Colin!

Anonymous said...

"And then came me."

Go, you! Looks like a good time...

Andrew Philip said...

Ah, so sorry to have had to miss it. Looks like a great night, too.