Monday, May 12, 2008

The Fourth Daily Poem Project, Week 12 call for Votes

THE FOURTH DAILY POEM PROJECT, WEEK TWELVE

Here are the poems to vote for in week twelve of my fourth Daily Poem Project (the poems on Poetry Daily from Monday, May 5, to Sunday, May 11):

78. Come to Me, His Blood, by Martha Rhodes
79. Like Something Christenberry Pictured, by C.D. Wright
80. The Red Snake, by Aaron Baker
81. The Hungry Gap-Time,, by Thomas Lux
82. I Lost My Horse, by Cecily Parks
83. Green Animals, by Michele Glazer
84. A Man is Stalked by a White Arctic Fox, by Jynne Dilling Martin

This is the last week of twelve weeks. Next week, all the winners will be put together for a final vote.

HOW TO VOTE: Please vote for only ONE poem. You can send your vote to me by email or as a comment on the blog. If you want to vote by commenting but do not want your vote to appear on the blog, you just have to say so in your comment (I moderate all comments). (If you read this on Facebook, please vote on my blog and not as a comment on Facebook.) I will post comments as they come in (unless you tell me not to post the comment, of course).

You may vote by the title, the author's name, or the number of the poem in the list above. Please make a final decision and vote for only one poem (although it is always interesting to see people's lists).

Please VOTE BY SUNDAY, May 18! I will still accept votes as long as I have not posted the final results, which I will do on the evening of May 18. If you would like to receive an email announcing the posting of the results, make sure to get me your email address somehow (if it is not available through your blogger profile or the like, say).

The winner of week 1 was Alison Brackenbury's "Edward Thomas's daughter."
The winner of week 2 was Martha Zweig's "Overturn."
The winner of week 3 was B. T. Shaw's "We End, Like Galileo."
The winner of week 4 was Damian Walford Davies's "Plague."
The winner of week 5 was Mary Jo Salter's "Point of View."
The winner of week 6 was Bill Zavatsky's "Ode to the Maker of Odes."
The winner of week 7 was Marie Howe's "The Star Market."
The winner of week 8 was Adam Zagajewski's "In a Little Apartment," translated by Clare Cavanagh
The co-winners of week 9 were Sidney Wade's Siamo a la Frutta and John Rybicki's Her Body Like a Lantern Next to Me.
The winner of week 10 was Elaine Sexton's Night. Fire.
The winner of week 11 was Lisa Williams's Horizontally, I Moved.

6 comments:

Katy Loebrich said...

Like Something Christenberry Pictured, by CD Wright.

At first I was daunted by its length, but the imagery and the payoff were worth every line.

Anonymous said...

This week I cast my vote for:

81 -- Thomas Lux's 'Hungry-Gap Time'

... because I appreciate its clarity
and straightforwardness ... also its
(extremely slight) hints of a more
abstract significance. But most
especially, I appreciate being
taught that late August might be
a time of hunger, rather than plenty.

-- dhsh

Marion McCready said...

I'm going for 'I Lost my Horse'.

Colin Will said...

Just back from a week in Assynt, so I've read all these in one gulp. Jynne Dilling Martin gets my vote this time.

Donald Brown said...

I vote for "I Lost My Horse." It's not the kind of thing I'd normally like (I think), but I enjoyed reading it, whereas as all the others wore on me before they were through.

Andrew Shields said...

I enjoyed most of these poems, but the one that I found haunting was "Come to Me, His Blood." I can't quite follow all its twists and turns without great effort, but I feel that the effort is rewarded.