Monday, October 21, 2024

Stalled in the middle of Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton in Mike Nichols’s “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf” (1966)

The other day, I watched the 1933 Disney cartoon "The Three Little Pigs" with the song "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf?" as preparation for a discussion of Taylor Swift's "Who's Afraid of Little Old Me?" ("The Tortured Poets Department", 2024) in today's first session of my eight-week-long Volkshochschule beider Basel course on Swift. I also started Mike Nichols's 1966 film of Edward Albee's 1962 play "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?", with Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor (an Oscar-winning role for her). I stalled fifty minutes in, as a drunk couple yelling at each other gradually grows tiresome. But the superb acting still makes me want to finish it soon. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 21 October 2024)

No comments: