Saturday, March 04, 2023

Listening to Dave Holland, enjoying Alex Sipiagin on trumpet and flugelhorn, and remembering hearing him in the 1990s

Continuing my anticipation of the Dave Holland concert at Moods in Zurich on Monday with Kevin Eubanks and Eric Harland, I listened today to Holland's 2010 octet album "Pathways", which was recorded live at Birdland in New York City in Janaury 2009. In an album full of beautiful arrangements, wonderful solos, and nonstop interplay, I especially enjoyed Alex Sipiagin's trumpet and flugelhorn solos. I saw Sipiagin once at the Atlantis in Basel in the late 1990s with the Gil Evans Orchestra, where he also stood out with one gorgeous solo after another. (Gil Evans died in 1988; the band I saw, led by Gil's son Miles Evans, was playing his arrangements.) (Andrew Shields, #111words, 4 March 2023)

No comments: