Saturday, March 11, 2023

John Scofield and Yankee Go Home at the Volkshaus Basel tonight – with tunes by The Grateful Dead?

John Scofield is at the Volkshaus Basel tonight with his Yankee Go Home band: Jon Cowherd on piano, Vicente Archer on bass, and Josh Dion on drums. My Facebook memories just reminded me I saw Scofield at the Theater Basel ten years sago today, with Larry Goldings on organ and Gregory Hutchinson on drums. The other day, I wanted to listen to Yankee Go Home, but Scofield hasn't released an album with them yet, so I searched on YouTube and had a pleasant surprise: among the "Yankee" songs they play are several by The Grateful Dead: "Uncle John's Band", "Eyes of the World", and "Black Muddy River" (with Dion on vocals). (Andrew Shields, #111words, 11 March 2023)

No comments: