Wednesday, October 20, 2021

My teaching philosophy and the pandemic

Every five years, my "Universitätsdozent" position at the University of Basel is evaluated; as I received the title in 2011 and was first evaluated in 2016, the time has come around again. In my 2016 portfolio, I included a description of my teaching philosophy; it hasn't changed much, but the experience of teaching my "111 Words a Day" course (and writing my own daily prose) has led me to recognize and confirm my Schillerian understanding of education as addressing the whole person. The pandemic contributed to this realization; paradoxically, the virtual setting of Zoom teaching made room for the students and me to reflect on our pandemic experiences with each other. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 20 October 2021)


No comments: