Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Muthspiel, Colley, Rossy: My first concert in fifteen months

The last concert I attended was on 11 March 2020, when I saw Hildegard Lernt Fliegen at the Jazzhaus in Freiburg two days before the first Swiss lockdown was announced. Tonight, fifteen days after my second dose of coronavirus vaccine, I went to the garden of the Kunsthalle in Basel to hear Wolfgang Muthspiel, Scott Colley, and Jorge Rossy. Hearing the music was wonderful, of course, but seeing the musicians was, too: Muthspiel swaying back and forth to the rhythm as the music got louder and louder; Colley smiling again and again at Rossy's quick-witted playing; Rossy seamlessly switching from sticks to brushes to mallets to playing snare with his hands. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 23 June 2021)


Muthspiel, Colley, Rossy

No comments: