1. Though I play guitar and mandolin, my first instruments were cornet, drums, and flute, none of which I can play now. I did not start learning to play guitar until I was almost 19, in the summer of 1983.
2. I did not start learning German, for that matter, until I was already 19, in the fall of 1983.
3. In fact, I went to college to study physics, but I got sidetracked by Nietzsche.
4. I did not get the joke about the word "beat" in the name of "The Beatles" until I was well into my thirties.
5. [It's hard to think of six things!] If I had not moved to Basel in 1995, I would have gone to spend a year in Poland with my girlfriend (now wife) Andrea, where she would have had a job as a German teacher.
6. [Something many people already know] I attended over 80 Grateful Dead concerts between 1982 and 1993, plus several dozen Jerry Garcia shows (I'd say 30-40).
As George wrote me in an email:
Rules of Tagging:
- Post these rules on your blog.
- Write six random things about yourself in a blog post.
- Tag six people of your own.
- Stick in a link for each person tagged.
- Let each person know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
- Let the tagger know your entry is up.
My apologies if any of you have done this one already!