Monday, July 24, 2023

Fred Hersch and Bill Frisell’s 1998 standards album “Songs We Know”, including “My Little Suede Shoes” and “It Might As Well Be Spring"

A post on Mastodon about Charlie Parker's "My Little Suede Shoes" reminded me of the lovely version on pianist Fred Hersch and guitarist Bill Frisell's 1998 standards album "Songs We Know". In an interview I read at the time of its release, they said they went into the studio with a bunch of originals to play, but they had so much fun warming up with standards that they ended up just recording the standards, the "songs they knew". Of the many other great tunes on the album, the opener of Rodgers and Hammerstein's "It Might As Well Be Spring" is among the most beautiful three minutes of music I've ever heard. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 24 July 2023)

No comments: