Thursday, September 08, 2022

Remembering a chart of the succession of English and British monarchs from my time in the UK in 1973-74

When I was nine and lived in Leamington Spa in England for nine months in 1973-74, I remember drawing a detailed chart, from King William I to Queen Elizabeth II, of the succession of the Kings and Queens of England and Great Britain from 1066 onwards. I was particularly intrigued by the moments when the succession was not smooth (with Lady Jane Grey after King Edward VI in 1553, say, or with the Civil War in the seventeenth century). That memory from almost fifty years ago helps me realize just how long Queen Elizabeth II's reign was, especially given that she had been Queen for over twenty years by that time. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 8 September 2022)


No comments: