Sunday, June 08, 2008

Summer Plans

My nephew Alex asked me what I am doing this summer, so I began to write a list. It kept getting longer:

I have lots of things to do this summer: translate essays by Durs Grünbein for a selected essays book to be published next year by Farrar Straus; translate poems by Dieter M. Gräf for lyrikline.org (check out the site; it's very cool); translate poems by Jacques Réda because that's an ongoing project; edit the project report for a University of Basel research project on "iconic criticism" called "eikones"; spend two weeks at the North Sea coast in Germany in July (where I plan to read the Aeneid); write poems as always; play guitar and mandolin; finish the demo recording with my trio Human Shields and put together a package of recording and photos to try to get gigs; prepare my classes for September; send Luisa to Kindergarten in August (a momentous occasion, as my Mom would put it); play with the kids lots in July after we get back from the North Sea because Andrea will have to work.

As I wrote to Alex: "Does that sound like enough?" And I'm sure a few things are slipping my mind!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, and I thought I had a lot to do this summer! You're amazing.

Brian Campbell said...

You've inspired me to write a "summer plans" post. I'm sure I'll be almost as scattered as you... (did I say scattered? Oh, sorry, I meant prodigious!)

Andrew Shields said...

I am feeling rather scattered at the moment. Have to find a rhythm to work on things in parallel.

Donald Brown said...

humbling... good luck with it all (from someone back from two unambitious weeks at the shore and after two more unambitious weeks since getting back)...but it occurs to me (before I undertake teaching Ulysses for the first time in 2 years) that I'm just now back to a space of time where I might be able to pick up stuff dropped at the end of last summer!