Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Reciting the spell I learned from García Márquez

As part of my learning of Spanish, I have now finished memorizing the first paragraph of "Cien años de soledad", by Gabriel García Márquez. My favorite moment comes when Jose Arcadio Buendía trades his mule and his goats for magnets and spends months trying to use them to extract gold from underground: "Exploró palmo a palmo la región, inclusive el fondo del río, arrastrando los dos lingotes de hierro y recitando en voz alta el conjuro de Melquíades." Jose Arcadio Buendía goes inch by inch through the region reciting the spell he learned from Melquíades; I go word by word through the book reciting the spell I learned from García Márquez. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 13 April 2021)

 

Cien años de soledad

No comments: