Tuesday, April 06, 2021

Hay-fever season in Switzerland is getting earlier and earlier

When I moved to Basel in 1995, my hay-fever season started around mid-March, but since then I've had the impression that it's been starting earlier and earlier, with even one winter where the first itch in my nose was "between the years" (as the week between Christmas and New Year's is so wonderfully called in German). While that itch quickly went away with colder weather, recently I have begun taking my medication in mid-to-late January. And now a study by the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute in Basel has confirmed my impression: from 1990 to 2020, the beginning of pollen seasons for several species have been getting earlier and earlier. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 6 April 2021)

 

https://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0048969721014509-ga1_lrg.jpg
Graphical Abstract of the study

 

No comments: