Thursday, May 20, 2021

Computer security with "two-step authentification" – which takes four steps

The University of Basel computer center now requires "two-step authentification" for email accounts. This is an important security procedure, as over 100 unibas email accounts have been hacked via phishing in the last twelve months. I've registered for it now and used it for the first time – but as my wife Andrea pointed out after signing up for it a few weeks ago, it actually takes four steps: signing in with my password on the website, unlocking my phone with its passcode, unlocking the Authenticator app with my passcode, and then confirming my login on Authenticator with the passcode again! I'm all for security, but "two-step authentification" is a misnomer here! (Andrew Shields, #111words, 20 May 2021)


No comments: