Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Snakeskin, March 2008

I have three poems in the March 2008 issue of the on-line journal Snakeskin: "Cigarette," "Baby Clothes," and "Melinda Compton." My apologies to Melinda. :-)

Of the other poems in the issue, I particularly enjoyed Alison Brackenbury's "Three," Maggie Butt's "List," and Colin Will's "Iron Road to Lhasa." Colin's poem reminded me of Christoph Ransmayr's verse novel Der fliegende Berg, which, unfortunately, has still not been translated into English.

My "Cigarette" is a further, even more dramatic example (than "River") of a poem that took its time getting published: it was the first poem I wrote in Philadelphia, which means I wrote it in September 1988. The moral again: stick with the poems you believe in and eventually they will find a home!

5 comments:

SarahJane said...

Hi Andrew /
I read and enjoyed your poems, and AB's poems, too.
cheers

Andrew Shields said...

Glad you enjoyed them! And AB's good work, too.

Joannie Stangeland said...

Awesome advice, and congratulations on the publication.

Donald Brown said...

Nice work -- it's fun seeing your old "philly" voice. I liked those poems with the disjointed syntax. Or at least I had you pigeon-holed as "that kind" of poet for awhile.

The one about the Spam ads has a very precise rhythm -- is it in a particular metre? Well done!

Andrew Shields said...

Don, "Melinda Compton" starts out with a seven-foot line and then mostly only approaches repeating it in the rest of the poem. I'm not sure what to call it, though it certainly aspires to some sort of metrical feel.