Sunday, March 23, 2008

Fourth Daily Poem Project, Week Five Call for Votes

THE FOURTH DAILY POEM PROJECT, WEEK FIVE

Here are the poems to vote for in week five of my fourth Daily Poem Project (the poems on Poetry Daily from Monday, March 17, to Sunday, March 23):

29. Point of View, by Mary Jo Salter
30. Gardens Down To The Sea, by Samantha Wynne-Rhydderch
31. Future Structures, by William D. Waltz
32. Infinity, by Christopher Buckley
33. Sun Sutra, by Dana Levin
34. The Polish Immigrant, by Peter Skrzynecki
35. Procession, by Michael Miller

This is the fifth week of twelve weeks, at the end of which the twelve winners will be put together for a final vote.

HOW TO VOTE: You can send your vote to me by email or as a comment on the blog. If you want to vote by commenting but do not want your vote to appear on the blog, you just have to say so in your comment (I moderate all comments). (If you read this on Facebook, please vote on my blog and not as a comment on Facebook.) I will post comments as they come in (unless you tell me not to post the comment, of course).

You may vote by the title, the author's name, or the number of the poem in the list above. Please make a final decision and vote for only one poem (although it is always interesting to see people's lists).

Please VOTE BY FRIDAY, March 28! But I will still accept votes as long as I have not posted the final results, which might only be on March 29 or 30. If you would like to receive an email announcing the posting of the results, make sure to get me your email address somehow (if it is not available through your blogger profile or the like, say).

The winner of week 1 was Alison Brackenbury's "Edward Thomas's daughter."
The winner of week 2 was Martha Zweig's "Overturn."
The winner of week 3 was B. T. Shaw's "We End, Like Galileo."
The winner of week 4 was Damian Walford Davies's "Plague."

11 comments:

Colin Will said...

Samantha Wynne-Rhydderch

Marion McCready said...

I'm also going for 'Gardens down to the sea'.

Gabe said...

I also go with Gardens Down to the Sea, though Salter was a close second. As for the rest, I find the whole idea of "prose poetry" monstrous, and prefer a little more substance in a poem.
--GS

Katy Loebrich said...

I am going to go with Point of View by Mary Jo Salter.

Runner-up is Future Structures by William D. Waltz -- I like the format of that one.

Third place, Sun Sutra by Dana Levin.

I was nonplussed by many again this week. Salter's was the one that really struck me strongest, so....

Anonymous said...

I'm with you again, Katy ... and even in the same order this time (at least for 1st and 2nd place). That is to say, Point of View by MJ Salter gets my vote, with Future Structures as my "runner-up". My 3rd choice is definitely NOT Sun Sutra however!

-- dhsh

swiss said...

abstention!

brian (baj) salchert said...

I'm conflicted because I found
"Point of View"
"Gardens Down to the Sea"
and
"Future Structures"
each appealing
for different reasons;
but since I'm here I may as well
choose one:

"Point of View"

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what the capitalized words refer to in this line of Wydden-Rhydderch's poem:

"extra rainfall? Storws Wen is the worst"

Is it a place name? Is it misspelled? Is it Welsh?

-- dhsh

Kristina said...

I vote for "Point of View" as well.

Storws Wen btw seems to be a golf course in Wales. At least that's what comes up when you google it.

Anonymous said...

Peter Skrzynecki, "The Polish Immigrant"

Andrew Shields said...

Nobody has mentioned Michael Miller's "Procession," which, though I am not going to vote for it, does deserve notice as a fine short poem.

For me, the choice was between "Points of View" and "Gardens down to the Sea." The latter is a more complex poem, but I find the simplicity of Salter's poem compelling, and when I first read it, I said "wow" as I finished, which is a pretty good thing to have a poem make you say.

So my vote is Gabe's, but the other way around: Salter, with Wynne-Rhydderch a very close second.