Sunday, March 09, 2008

Fourth Daily Poem Project, Week Three Call for Votes

THE FOURTH DAILY POEM PROJECT, WEEK THREE

Here are the poems to vote for in week three of my fourth Daily Poem Project (the poems on Poetry Daily from Monday, March 3, to Sunday, March 9):

15. The Other, by Eugenio Montejo / tr. from Spanish by Kirk Nesset
16. For Grace, After a Party, by Frank O'Hara (please vote only on the first poem)
17. Lane of Blue Mist, by James Haug
18. Family Dinner, by Marina Colasanti / tr. from Portuguese by Cristina Ferreira-Pinto Bailey
19. We End, Like Galileo, by B. T. Shaw
20. The Moment of Exchange, by Emmy Hunter (please vote only on the first poem)
21. The Return, by Ronald Augusto / tr. from Portuguese by Isis McElroy

This is the third week of twelve weeks, at the end of which the twelve winners will be put together for a final vote.

HOW TO VOTE: You can send your vote to me by email or as a comment on the blog. If you want to vote by commenting but do not want your vote to appear on the blog, you just have to say so in your comment (I moderate all comments). (If you read this on Facebook, please vote on my blog and not as a comment on Facebook.) I will post comments as they come in (unless you tell me not to post the comment, of course).

You may vote by the title, the author's name, or the number of the poem in the list above. Please make a final decision and vote for only one poem (although it is always interesting to see people's lists).

Please VOTE BY FRIDAY, March 14! But I will still accept votes as long as I have not posted the final results, which might only be on March 15 or 16. If you would like to receive an email announcing the posting of the results, make sure to get me your email address somehow (if it is not available through your blogger profile or the like, say).

The winner of week 1 was Alison Brackenbury's "Edward Thomas's daughter."
The winner of week 2 was Martha Zweig's "Overturn."

15 comments:

Colin Will said...

Frank O'Hara.

Joannie Stangeland said...

B.T. Shaw's "We End, Like Galileo"

Andrew Shields said...

Those two were my final shortlist, and on re-reading them, I have to go against O'Hara and for Shaw, because FO resorts to some vagueness here ("the fruit of screaming"), while Shaw is sharp and crisp from start to finish. The man's sight may fade, but the poet's remains vivid and clear.

Marion McCready said...

It's a tough one between Shaw and O'Hara, I'm going for O'Hara.

Katy Loebrich said...

Family Dinner, by Marina Colasanti.

Runner-up for me, The Return, by Ronald Augusto.

Interesting to note how many translations there were this week. Just interesting.

Anonymous said...

MY short list consists of Montejo & Shaw ...
but I have yet to decide which one is going
to get my final vote ... stay tuned!

For now, though, I want to report that I
couldn't resist reading (and commenting
on) the full "sets" of poems Poetry Daily
included by O'Hara and Hunter:

I didn't care much for any of the poems
by Hunter, although there were some
bits of =Approaching Mount Fuji= that
DID appeal to my eye/ear ... On the
other hand, while I liked the first
several lines of O'Hara's first poem
quite a bit, the second half (or so) of
it seemed much less successful/effective
... but I DID like his 2nd and 3rd poems
quite a lot; I'd say he "does good" when
he writes poems about paintings!

'Tsall for now :D))

-- dhsh

PS: Are you on daylight savings time now, too?

swiss said...

this is the week i least liked. in the absence of a protest vote for none fo them i'll grudgingly go for o'hara

Andrew Shields said...

Swiss, you are allowed to abstain if you like!

Mom, O'Hara was a curator at MOMA and wrote lots of poems about paintings. Get yourself a copy of that new Selected, or have your library order it!

No Daylight Savings in Switzerland yet.

Anonymous said...

We End, Like Galileo- B. T. Shaw

Kristina said...

My vote goes to Shaw as well. There seems to be a lot of agreement...

Donald Brown said...

Not much here for me this week. I'll go for O'Hara, those it's not one of his best poems, because of the delightful surprise I find in "put out your hand and an ashtray is there" -- and because "the fruit of screaming" is the kind of odd locution that it takes some skill to toss around. "Galileo" never recovers from the opening prosaic statement (it would seem Galileo had "diminishing ability to focus on the objects at hand"). By the end Shaw works in rhyme, but ... too late.

brian (baj) salchert said...

This week, too, I am not really in
the mood to vote; and Dante and
Shepherd and Shakespeare have not
helped; and the one I was thinking
of voting for--here's a vote for
"We End, Like Galileo"
by B. T. Shaw.

Katy Loebrich said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who was nonplussed by this week's batch. Watch, next week will be just as hard because all 7 will be brilliant & choosing between them will be difficult.

Anonymous said...

Guess I'll vote for Montejo, just to add variety to the "curve" ... and I will follow up on your suggestion, Andrew, that I read more of O'Hara's poems about paintings; thanks for the tip!

-- dhsh

Anonymous said...

Augusto, "The Return"