Friday, September 20, 2024

Terrance Hayes and his revision of poems between magazine and book publication

For the first session of my Contemporary Poetry seminar this semester, I picked out the poem "Continuity", by Terrance Hayes ("So To Speak", 2023). Yesterday, when I found the poem's first publication in The New Yorker in 2021, I copied it to prepare notes. But then I remembered that when I did the same a few semesters ago with one of Hayes's "American Sonnets for My Past and Future Assassin" (2018), I didn't notice that Hayes had revised the poem between its original magazine publication and its appearance in a book. So now I checked – and was glad I did. The changes were mostly small, but one couplet was significantly different. (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 20 September 2024)

No comments: