Thursday, July 18, 2024

Finding an affectionate English expression for an old woman to translate a bit of German word play

In a graphic novel I'm translating from German into English, an old man on his sixtieth wedding anniversary calls his wife "meine Faltenschnitte". I played around with this word for a while to try to figure out what to do with it, but when I finally admitted I was stumped, I consulted with my wife Andrea, a native speaker of German. She associated it with "Sahneschnitte", which is both a type of pastry or cake and a word for an attractive young woman. So she made several suggestions for a possible English translation of "Faltenschnitte" as a term of endearment for an old woman, of which my favorite was "sugar wrinkle". (Andrew Shields, #111Words, 17 July 2024)

No comments: