Thursday, June 22, 2023

Reading the FAZ and then the taz in summer 1991 in Weimar

In August 1991, my girlfriend Carolyn and I went to the Eurocentre German language school in Weimar, Germany, for three weeks (she took beginning German; I took advanced German). Every morning, there were several newspapers available to read, and I began reading the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung. After a couple of days, I spoke to my teacher Mathias Hahn and confirmed my impression  that the FAZ, as it is called for short, was a relatively right-wing newspaper. The next morning Mathias showed up with Die Tageszeitung (or taz) from Berlin, which was founded in 1978 as a left-wing alternative to the mainstream German press (including the FAZ) and is still published today. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 22 June 2023) 

No comments: