Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Songs by the same bands with two different texts: The Beach Boys, The Grateful Dead

For this Friday's session of my course on poetry and songwriting, I asked the students to compose or borrow a melody to work on writing lyrics to.  Just now, I was listening to "Pet Sounds", by The Beach Boys, and I rediscovered that "I Know There's an Answer" is the official version of a song originally called "Hang On To Your Ego" – two recordings with identical music but different texts. I was reminded of Bob Weir's Grateful Dead song "The Music Never Stopped", with words by John Perry Barlow, which was originally "Hollywood Cantata", with words by Robert Hunter. So now I'm wondering about other pop songs with two different texts. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 15 November 2022)

No comments: