Sunday, October 24, 2021

"Bohemian Rhapsody", Queen, Live Aid, and The Grateful Dead at Ventura County Fairgrounds, 13 July 1985

A student wrote her MA thesis on two recent biopics about musicians, "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rocket Man", so of course I have to watch them before I mark her thesis. Andrea and I just finished "Bohemian Rhapsody", which is framed by Queen's performance at Wembley for Live Aid on 13 July 1985. I was not at Wembley or even at JFK in Philadelphia for the concerts, and I didn't watch the broadcast either. Instead, I was at Ventura County Fairgrounds in California to hear The Grateful Dead, and during the dissonant feedback of the "Space" section of the show, I imagined the Dead's eerie sounds being broadcast at Wembley and JFK. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 24 October 2021)


Me at Ventura County Fairgrounds, July 1985, photo by Julian Stone

No comments: