Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Vaccination beyond coronavirus: shingles, tick-borne encephalitis, and a booster

When I got the second dose of coronavirus vaccine on 8 June, I decided to talk to my doctor about other vaccines, especially the relatively new one for shingles. Today, I had an appointment to discuss all this, but it turns out that the best shingles vaccine, Shingrix, has not yet been approved in Switzerland, though it should be available soon. Instead, as ticks have been spreading in Switzerland since I got here in 1995, I got the first of three shots for tick-borne encephalitis, with appointments for the next two in one and six months, as well as a one-time booster vaccination with Boostrix-Polio for diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and poliomyelitis. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 29 June 2021)

No comments: