Tuesday, June 08, 2021

On getting the same vaccine for the second dose of my coronavirus vaccination

I went to get the second dose for my coronavirus vaccination this afternoon, and I was surprised when the purple-haired young woman preparing to give me the shot mentioned that I'd be getting the same vaccine as before (BioNTech-Pfizer) – I'd unconsciously assumed that it went without saying that the vaccines couldn't be mixed. But when I asked her whether they could, she said that while there haven't been studies, the two mRNA vaccines available in Basel (BioNTech-Pfizer and Moderna) are similar enough that it's reasonable to assume that they could be mixed, but the AstraZeneca vaccine, for example, is a viral-vector vaccine that may well not be compatible with the others. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 8 June 2021)

No comments: