Saturday, March 27, 2021

Mrs. Bennet in films of "Pride and Prejudice": My path from fandom to criticism

Although I was long a fan, I didn't study Jane Austen's novels until I became irritated about Mrs. Bennet in film versions of "Pride and Prejudice". Alison Steadman in Simon Langton's 1995 BBC series and Brenda Blethyn in Joe Wright's 2005 film are wonderful actresses that neither director took advantage of to make Mrs. Bennet's shrillness more subtle. So I reread the novel and focused on the characterization of Mrs. Bennet, which led me to read all the minor characters in Austen's novels against the grain. And then I started to use Austen novels in academic-writing courses, which is why I now keep coming back to Austen in my daily prose. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 27 March 2021)

No comments: