Thursday, November 26, 2020

Listening to music I haven't listened to in a long time: The Brad Mehldau Trio, "Art of the Trio, Volume 1" (1996)

There's the joy of listening to music I listened to often years ago but haven't listened to in a long time. I experienced it today with the original Brad Mehldau Trio's 1996 album "Art of the Trio, Volume 1", with Mehldau on piano, Larry Grenadier on bass, and Jorge Rossy on drums. I have the trio's version of Radiohead's "Exit Music" as a tone for the alarm clock on my phone, but when it rings, I only hear the beginning, rather than the brilliant drifting of the whole tune. And how could I have forgotten the haunting version of Nick Drake's "River Man", which captivated me once again on this listening. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 26 November)

No comments: