Sunday, December 25, 2022

On the difficulty level of reading books in Spanish (with my intermediate skills)

For months now, I've been reading three books in Spanish: Gabriel García Márquez's "Cien años de soledad" (1967), Jorge Luis Borges's "Cuentos completos", and my friend Agathe Cortes's "Gacelas que comen Leones" (2022). When I find the time to read them, I'm happy to manage a paragraph or page of each per day. Yesterday, I noticed once again that, despite the reputations of García Márquez and Borges, I often find them easier to read than Cortes. Her work is very colloquial and full of phrases I often don't recognize as idioms, while the more literary style of the two men makes them easier for me to read with my intermediate Spanish. (Andrew Shields, #111words, 25 December 2022)

 

Gacelas que comen leones
The cover of Agathe Cortes's "Gacelas que comen leones" (2922)

No comments: