Thursday, February 17, 2022

"Estamos? – Estamos": Figuring out a Spanish expression with Daniel Sánchez Arévalo's "Diecisiete" ("Seventeen")

Daniel Sánchez Arévalo's 2019 movie "Seventeen" posed me with a problem: when the film's two brothers, Héctor (Biel Montoro) and Ismael (Nacho Sánchez) argued about their plans together, one would ask "Estamos?" and the other would answer "Estamos", while the subtitles would say "You get it?" and "I get it." I know the word "estamos", but only as "we are", so I kept wondering if it was something else, until I found a website that explained that it can mean "Ready?" or "Okay?" Overall, the film is a lovely buddy movie that also includes a wonderful scene in which Ismael explains irony to Héctor, which the latter defines as "saying nonsense." (Andrew Shields, #111words, 17 February 2022)


No comments: