Saturday, February 04, 2012

Habits

I recently had to replace my water boiler in the kitchen, which had started to leak. The new one is bigger, and it also boils the water much faster. So only now, when the water is done boiling much sooner than I unconsciously expected, have I noticed that I was in the habit of putting the water on and then taking my time in preparing my coffee filter to make my cup of coffee when the water finally boiled.

In this case, I only noticed that I even had a particular habit once the habit no longer functioned as such. It reminds me of this poem, which I wrote shortly before my second child was born:

HABIT


We've moved into the dining room,

and Miles into ours,

to make room for number two.

And every couple hours,


I head to what was once our room to get

something no longer there,

then turn around, amazed by habit,

by what I live in, unaware.


Light Quarterly 50, Autumn 2005

No comments: